Programming & Events
Reading should be fun! That’s why we create an engaging, exciting program that celebrates books.
- Book Clubs: All around the city, families and schools are reading the same book. There are lots of ways to get involved in our program, but it starts with reading the selected book with your friends, neighbors, kids, or school, and discussing it together. We have book clubs happening at Little Shop of Stories, or we can direct you on how to start your own book club.
- Workshops: We love giving kids the opportunity to experience more than just reading words on the page and our interactive workshops do just that. We host various workshops--in past years these have included writing, acting, and music--to help the stories come alive and inspire families to creatively engage with the selected book.
- Movie Screening: If our selected book has been made into a movie, we host movie screenings to give children and their families an opportunity to experience the book visually, discuss the similarities and differences, and provide a fun, free, family outing.
- Community Service: Reading opens our eyes to other people's perspectives. This can inspire us to relate to and help those in need. We partner with local organizations to provide an opportunity for families to serve others in our community, relating to the selected book.
- Author Event: How many kids can say that they had the chance to meet their favorite author? The program culminates with a grand finale visit from the author. This author event is an outstanding way to cap off the program and come together to celebrate literature as a community.